Who we are
State Transit is one of the largest and most modern bus transport providers in Australia. What drives us are the 200 million passengers a year that rely on us to get them quickly and safely to their destination. We pride ourselves on making sure the highest levels of service are delivered to our customers each day and into the future.
As an operating agency of Transport for NSW, we perform a key role in providing NSW with an integrated transport network, working closely with our colleagues across Transport and within the industry to deliver seamless bus, rail, ferry and light rail services and keep our customers on the move.
We are a large and diverse organisation that believes in shaping our people to be the best they can be. We offer a wide range of opportunities for our people to undertake satisfying work, develop their skills and pursue a rewarding career. Operating from 14 locations across Sydney and Newcastle, our people play a key role in delivering a vital service to their local communities.
State Transit is broad organisation with a wide array of opportunities for our people to succeed and grow their careers while receiving fantastic benefits. Visit the Meet our people page and discover where a career with State Transit can take you!
State Transit believes in developing the best talent in the industry. We offer loads of training and support to people across the business including:
- Bus Operator Traineeships - Certificate III in Driving Operations (Bus), a nationally recognised qualification
- Body Builder and Motor Mechanic Apprenticeships
- Extensive induction programs including classroom and practical learning
- Ongoing skills maintenance comprised of various on-the-job, eLearning and classroom based training
- For staff required to drive high capacity or articulated buses, additional training to upgrade to a HR licence if required.
- Study assistance and leave
We also offer employee development through:
- The Grow Perform Succeed (GPS) Program for Bus Operators, Trades and support staff which provides staff with feedback and recognition for their achievements.
- A Performance Development & Review Program for salaried and executive employees.
- A Succession Planning Framework that enables us to identify high potential employees and plan for the future.
State Transit believes in growing its own. Leadership and development programs within Transport for NSW are tailored to leaders across the organisational hierarchy and strive to build leader capability to:
- lead themselves;
- lead others;
- lead functions; and
- lead the organisation.
We teach our leaders not only to manage and develop people, but to inspire direction and purpose, manage organisational change and optimise business outcomes
Meet our people
For an insight into life at State Transit, visit the Meet our people page
We're in the business of getting our people where they need to be. State Transit is contracted to deliver bus services across 4 metropolitan regions in Sydney and bus and ferry services in Newcastle. Alongside our head office located in Mascot, we conduct bus operations and maintenance from 14 strategically located depots within the regions which include:
- Northern Region – servicing Sydney's Lower North Shore and Northern Beaches and operating from depots in North Sydney, Brookvale and Mona Vale
- Western Region – servicing the Epping Road and Victoria Road corridors and surrounding suburbs and operating from depots in Ryde and Willoughby
- Southern Region – servicing the Inner West and southern suburbs and operating from depots in Leichhardt, Kingsgrove, Tempe and Burwood
- Eastern Region – servicing the Inner City and Eastern Suburbs and operating from depots in Waverley, Randwick and Port Botany
- Newcastle – servicing the Newcastle metropolitan area and operating from depots in Hamilton and Belmont.
Every working day, our 4700 employees work to maintain and operate a fleet of over 2,100 buses. We deliver more than 17,800 services each weekday across approximately 320 routes which equates to transporting our customers 94 million kilometres every year.
We place the safety of our people and our customers above everything else. We deliver safety through a wide range of measures including:
- Installation of digital CCTV systems on most buses within our fleet
- Reviewing the interior layout of our buses to reduce the risk of passenger falls
- Providing our drivers with training to ensure a smooth journey for passengers and support passengers with mobility issues and special needs
- Installing security screens in buses to protect the driver from assault
- Development of a Seniors Program to provide travel tips for Seniors
- Working closely with NSW Police who patrol our buses, conducting joint security operations and participating in programs targeting vandalism and anti-social behaviour
- Ensuring safety at the bus stops through undertaking Route Risk Assessments to identify hazards and working with local councils to reduce or eliminate risks.
State Transit believes in delivering quality customer outcomes every time through living our values and delivering initiatives that improve the customer experience. These have included:
- Introducing the Opal Electronic Ticketing System
- Introducing integrated timetabling across the bus, rail and ferry networks that improves frequency reliability and connectivity
- Introducing mobile apps that provide customers with real time information
- Enabling customers to subscribe to electronic updates that communicate changes to services
- Rolling out destination signage on board buses
- Providing additional services to support special events
- Introducing new buses and refreshing our existing fleet to improve passenger comfort and safety
- Planning for new rapid routes to get customers to their destination faster
- Delivering on Sydney's Bus Future, a strategic plan for simpler, faster and better bus services in Sydney
View State Transit's Customer Service Charter
Every year State Transit buses in Sydney and Newcastle are decked out with tinsel and ornaments as part of State Transit's Christmas Bus Competition. The competition, which aims to spread some cheer to passengers, motorists and staff over the festive season with the driver of the best decorated bus awarded money to donate to the charity of their choice.
In 2011, State Transit developed a partnership with the Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick with the honour of judging the competition each December going to a patient at the hospital.
State Transit also participates in events such as Australia's Biggest Morning Tea, The World's Greatest Shave, Movember and the Ice Bucket Challenge which help to raise money for worth causes.
- We place the customer at the centre of everything we do
- We listen and we respond to our customers' needs
- We know our job and what is expected of us and we build our skills to meet our customers' needs
- We take responsibility and lead by example.
- We take pride in maintaining the high standard of service our customers have enjoyed over our long history in Sydney and Newcastle.
- We communicate, understanding that it's vital that everyone knows what our aims are.
- We value each other and create better outcomes by sharing information and working together
- We co-operate, invest in our relationships and work as a team to help each other meet our challenges every day.
- We value and leverage from the diversity of our people and our community.
- We deliver sustainable and innovative solutions to the transport needs of NSW.
- We think ahead & act, working proactively to anticipate and our customers' needs and develop solutions ahead of time.
- We are uncompromising on safety and prioritise safety for our people and our customers above all else.
- We do not take shortcuts, we do the job right the first time.
At State Transit, we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture that is representative of the community we serve and overcoming barriers that may prevent people participating fully in the workplace. Regardless of a person's:
- cultural background;
- sexual orientation;
- marital status;
- religious beliefs;
- educational level;
- life experience;
- work experience; or
- socio-economic background;
we recognise the value of the differences and diversity that our people bring to the work environment and our community.
Our diverse people are also supported by the numerous Employee Resource Groups in Transport for NSW to participate fully in the workplace and share their diversity with others. State Transit also regularly participates in a variety of programs and cultural events within the community including:
- NAIDOC Week
- Reconciliation Week
- Harmony Day
- Aboriginal Career and Leadership Development Program
- International Women's Day
- International Day of People with a Disability
- Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras
- International Day Against Homophobia
- Mental Health Month
- Young Professionals Network.